Trebnitz, situated approximately 60km from Berlin in the eastern part of Brandenburg, looks back over a 780-year history. In its early days, there was an endowment of land from Henry I the Bearded to the Silesean Cistercian monastery in Trebnitz in 1244. The first documented reference to Trebnitz goes back to the year 1244. Over the course of the century, Trebnitz experienced an eventful history. Pillaging by the Hussites in 1432 and imperial troops during the 30 Years War damaged the place repeatedly.
With the almost simultaneous building of the Royal Prussian Ostbahn (eastern train line) in 1867 and the beginning of coal mining in the surrounding area, the village experienced a huge economic boom. It was at this time that Trebnitz developed into the regional centre point for freight and passenger transport. During the Battle of Berlin in April 1945, large parts of the locality were destroyed in the scramble for ‘Reichsstraße 1‘ and the Ostbahn. Despite the damages, more than 5500 refugees and displaced people found refuge in the village, from the German areas east of Oder and Nysa at the end of the war.
In 1946 the agrarian reform was also implemented in Trebnitz. In this context, the machine and tractor station (MAS/MTS) was erected in 1951, which later became the business premises of the district enterprise for agricultural technology (Kreisbetrieb für Landtechnik, KfL). In 1956, the collectivisation of agriculture through the founding of the Agricultural Co-Operative (LPG) followed, which was based at the estate.
Trebnitz, which became an independent municipality following reunification, has been part of the town of Müncheberg since 13 February 2002.
City of Müncheberg
Sights from the German-Polish border region
Here is a selection of interesting places in the German-Polish border region, which are well worth visiting on an excursion. A full list can be found in the publication ‘Learning across the Oder’ (published by Matthias Busch, Tomasz Lis, Darius Müller). This publication is also available upon request at Trebnitz Castle.
On the German side of the border
Kultur in MOL GmbH
Schloss & Park Neuhardenberg
Gedenkstätte Seelower Höhen
Theater am Rand
Naturpark Märkische Schweiz
CLIMB UP! – Kletterwälder Berlin / Brandenburg
On the Polish side of the border
Museum der Kultur und Landtechnik /Muzeum Lubuskie im. Jana Dekerta
Burgmuseum in Santok / Muzeum Lubuskie im. Jana Dekarta
Museum des Lebuser Landes / Muzeum Ziemi Lubuskiej
Nationalpark „Warthemündung“ / Park narodowy „Ujscie Warty“
Festung in Kostrzyn nad Odra (Küstrin an der Oder) / Muzeum Twierdzy Kostrzyn