Trebnitz Estate Park
Today, Trebnitz Estate Park extends over some 65 acres and can be traced back to plant lover Georg Friedrich von Ziethen, who was the lord of the manor in Trebnitz from 1707. As early as 1736, the park included almost all garden plants which were being cultivated in Europe at the time, as well as some rare imported plants – a total of over 3025 breeds, including exotic plants like the tulip tree or the giant honey flower from South Africa. At the time, the park was famous beyond the borders of the Mark for its large number of species. The plant population was even recorded and later published in the „Catalogus Plantarum Trebnitzii“ by famous botanist and erstwhile director of the Botanical Gardens in Berlin, Johann Gottlieb Gleditsch, in 1737.
Designed in Baroque style with strict geometrical shapes in the early 18th century, the park was redesigned in the 19th century when English landscape gardening came into fashion to form an open, structured park facility with lines of sight.
Today, there are still hints of the former magnificence, however, rank growth has taken over the park for some time now. That is why Parkhelden – „Park Heroes“ – a group of committed residents, started revitalising the historically important landscape gardens in line with the guidelines for historical garden monuments in 2011. It is their aim to develop it into an open space for local recreation, with a nature trail and opportunities for sports and cultural activities as well as, due to its closeness with the educational institution of Trebnitz Castle, an international meeting place.